Rendering by: Granoff Architects
Built in 1929 this eight-story office building is a former Federal Reserve Bank. It will be converted into a mixed-use building with upscale retail shops, a bar and lounge areas on the ground floor and luxury residences above. The low roof above the third floor will be converted to a roof-top terrace amenity. The building is conveniently located in the heart of Stamford and one block from the University of Connecticut campus.
The adaptive re-use of a ninety-year-old building required careful structural alterations that include selective demolition for new openings in the walls, floors and roof and the infill of existing openings in the floors and walls to accommodate the new tenancy. The current Code loading associated with a new roof top terrace required extensive in-place strengthening of the structural framing of the low roof, and the installation of a new stand-by generator on the high roof was achieved through careful selection of the final placement to optimize the existing framing and minimize the supplemental support requirements.